Since 1816, Aberlour 12 year old non chill-filtered single malt scotch whisky. No whisky was chillfiltered in the making of this Aberlour, keeping all the flavour from the cask in the whisky, not the filter. It is a 12 year old expression of Highland single malt Scotch whisky with an absolutely gorgeous amber hue, radiant like the sun...
Aberlour is Gaelic for the "mouth of the chattering burn". It is an ancient and beautiful place, probably founded by
Druids as there has been a community here for more than 1400 years. There is evidence of its long heritage all
around, from the age-old oak trees above Linn Falls to the mysterious standing stones on Fairy Hill.
The distillery is located in the heart of Aberlour village, on the banks of the Lour Burn where it meets the River Spey. It
stands at the Well of St. Drostan, who was one of St. Columba's disciples and went on to become Archbishop of
Canterbury in 960AD.
Aberlour distillery was founded in 1879 by the philanthropist James Fleming, whose motto "Let The Deed Show"
appears on every bottle. Following a fire in 1898, which started in the malt mill and destroyed most of the distillery, it
was rebuilt by the architect Charles Doig of Elgin. Further improvements were made in the 1920s, after World War II,
in the 1960s, and in the 1970s.
Exceptionally soft water is drawn from springs in the Lour Glen, having flowed through peat, over the hard granite hills
surrounding Ben Rinnes. The distillery is oil-fired, and uses a stainless steel mash tun, 4 stainless steel washbacks,
and 4 pot stills. The malt is supplied to order and is lightly peated. Aberlour malt whiskies have benefited from greater
use of oloroso sherry casks in recent years which, combined with bourbon casks, add to the whisky's complexity.
Built in the mid 1700s at the crossroads of two old coaching routes, the Blue Bell Inn is purportedly named after a local privateer's boat the Blue Bell. Legend has it that he was later caught and hanged for his piracy and is thought to be buried a few hundred yards away in the cemetery next to Halkyn Castle. How to find us.
"A shrine to real ale, wonderful!" - Simon Theakston
We are an independent, family run, award winning freehouse! We've been CAMRA Regional Pub & Cider Pub of the Year for North Wales, Cheshire & Merseyside, we're currently the local CAMRA Pub of the Year 2015 and we were also listed as one of the Sunday Telegraph's Top Ten UK Country Pubs in 2008, 'The Best Pub' in 2009 and have been picked out as one of the Best Summer Walks for 2009 in the Sunday Times. We've even featured on ITV's Coast & Country and the BBC TV Derek & Jamie's Big Weekend along with numerous national and independent radio stations like Radio Deeside. Opening hours at the bottom of the page.
At 850 feet we are near the top of Halkyn Mountain with spectacular 70 mile views over the Dee & Mersey rivers, the distant Cumbrian mountains & Pennine hills. With an extensive events list we are enjoyed by walkers, riders, cyclists, folk & jazz musicians, game players and locals alike. Our award winning walks around this fabled land of Avalon can be found here and you can use our free wireless internet to stay in touch or post a letter to a friend in our Post Office® Local! Real fires in winter add to the warm welcome. Bring your Motorhome!
"More than a pub, it's an institution!" - Pete brown
We have it on good authority that beer is good for you. We've had over 1,000 different cask ales and ciders with our own local Welsh brewed Blue Bell Bitter always on with its stable-mate Dark Blue and other regularly changing real ales, ciders and perrys.
After a decade in the Good Beer Guide you'll find us on-line and also in the Good Cider Guide and we have a Cask Marque for quality, in fact we are one of the highest scoring cask marque pubs in the UK! We also have a good selection of great wines, superb single malt whiskies and other spirits, a large range of soft drinks, Organic Fairtrade Tea, Coffee & Chocolate.
As you know we produced our first walk leaflets with very welcome help from The Ramblers Association (Holywell Ramblers), Walkabout Flintshire and other groups to help you take your own self-guided walks on Halkyn Mountain. Three leaflets are available nowin PDF format.
The first walk will be called Walk One - Halkyns Four Peaks is a reworking of our original circular walk of 5.75 miles. The second walk is a shorter circular walk of around 3.5 miles called Walk Two - Woods, Buffalo and Hill Forts which will take in some different terrain and part of the Wat's Dyke Way. The third walk is a longer circular walk of 9.5 miles and called Walk Three - Limekilns and Quarries.
Walk one gained the prestigious title of one of the top ten walks in the UK with MyFavouritePubWalks.com! In fact all three walks gained the accolade of appearing in the Twenty One Top Dog Walks and Walk two gained a place as on of the Best Walks for 2009 by the Sunday Times!
Click on a map below to download the walk leaflet you are interested in.
Longmorn (in Gaelic 'Lonmarnoch' means the 'place of St Marnoch') The Longmorn Distillery Company was founded in 1893 by John Duff, Charles Shirres and George Thomson. Duff was a former manager of the Glendronach Distillery and the Bon Accord Distillery in Aberdeen, and was the founder of the Glenlossie Distillery, as well as being involved with unsuccessful distilleries in Cape Town and the USA. John Duff also built the sister distillery BenRiach, both of which were linked to the Great North of Scotland Railway. Longmorn Station is retained as a feature as is a Victorian water wheel and a steam engine.
It's malted barley is supplied lightly peated to order, and its water is drawn from peaty springs that rise in the Blackhills. It operates a stainless steel traditional rake and plough mash tun, 8 stainless steel washbacks and 8 smaller pot stills. The wash stills were directly heated by coal fires until 1993, from which date all stills have been steam heated.
The whisky is matured in a mixture of ex-bourbon American oak and European oak sherry casks. Production is quite high at 3.5m litres (777,000 gallons) a year, most of which goes for blending.
The present malts were produced using barley malted on the traditional floor maltings at BenRiach (next door), with peat cut from Manoch Hill, and this explains why the malts have a distinctly smoky note. It will be interesting to see wether the flavour of the whisky changes significanty in the future, with commercially supplied malt from 2002.
Longmorn Distillery started production in December 1894. Three years later John Duff built the Benriach Distillery next to Longmorn, but both were affected by the collapse of wholesale buyers Pattison, Elder and Co. in 1898. Duff was ruined by the collapse, and Longmorn Distilleries Company Ltd. passed through a variety of ownerships. In 1970, Longmorn joined The Glenlivet and Glen Grant to form The Glenlivet Distillers Ltd. This was bought by Chivas Brothers in 1978, and in 2001 Chivas Brothers was acquired by the French Pernod Ricard Group.
The Longmorn 16-year expression has received warm reviews at international spirit ratings competitions. It received two silver medals from the San Francisco World Spirits Competition in 2008 and 2009. Wine Enthusiast gave it a "90-95" rating in 2009.
Tomatin is Gaelic for "hill of the juniper bushes", which describes its pretty setting high in the Monadh Liath mountains. It was built during the Victorian boom of 1897 and expanded from its original 2 stills to 23 stills by 1974. It was then Scotland's largest malt whisky distillery, capable of producing 13 million litres of alcohol a year, but this is no longer the case since some of the stills have been removed.
The history of Tomatin can be traced back to the 15th century when drovers would rest here on their journey to market to fill up their whisky flasks from a still alongside the Old Laird's House. While most of the buildings date from the 1970s, some from the original distillery have been retained, including a 19th century dunnage warehouse with blackened stone walls and an earthen floor.
Tomatin is a community as well as a distillery. It is one of the last distilleries to provide housing for its staff and around 25 families live on its 140 acre estate. They form the core of the workforce. It can feel quite remote, living 315 metres above sea level in the mountains, and this sense of isolation contributes to the character of Tomatin by helping to instil a strong sense of family, loyalty, friendship and trust in this unique community.
The distillery has a long and distinguished heritage of producing high quality malt whisky. The workforce takes whisky distilling very seriously indeed - some are the 5th generation of their families to work here. As a team they take pride in their community and in the traditions of distilling. And this pride, together with the passion which is evoked by the heritage, has evolved into an almost tangible spirit of ownership. The local people behind the malt provide it with its Highland pedigree.
Here's what they have to say about it...
Tomatin Distillery, home of the finest Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky, is located in the Monadhliath Mountains just south of Inverness, capital of the Highlands of Scotland. Established in 1897, Tomatin (to rhyme with satin) is also one of the highest distilleries in Scotland at 315 metres above sea level.
The soft waters of the Alt-na-Frith (Free Burn) which run clear and pure through the Monadhliath Mountains help to create a Highland Malt with delicate flavours, yet a rich and mellow style. Its undoubted quality and consistency make for a truly fine dram; a proud testimony to the art of distilling.
This world class malt has been aged for a minimum of 18 years and married for a period in distinctive Spanish Oloroso sherry casks to produce an exquisite whisky. This non chill filtered whisky is packed full of flavour and has a velvety smooth mouth feel.